Meatballs are a staple of many cuisines, from Italian to Swedish, but have you ever tried them with chimichurri sauce? Chimichurri is a fresh and tangy condiment that originated in South America, and is typically served with grilled meats. It is made with parsley, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and red pepper flakes, and has a bright green color and a zesty flavor.
However, chimichurri sauce can also be used to spice up meatballs, adding a burst of freshness and acidity to the rich and savory dish. Some recipes even incorporate the sauce into the meatball mixture, enhancing the flavor and moisture of the meat. Whether you use beef, pork, lamb, or chicken, chimichurri meatballs are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
In addition, there are many ways to enjoy chimichurri meatballs, from serving them as an appetizer with toothpicks, to pairing them with a salad, bread, or rice for a main course. You can also make them ahead of time and freeze them for later use, or store them in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat them, simply warm them up in a skillet or in the oven, and drizzle some extra chimichurri sauce over them.
If you are looking for some easy and delicious recipes for chimichurri meatballs, you can check out below:
- Chimichurri Meatballs by Jo Cooks: This recipe uses a combination of ground pork and beef, and fries the meatballs in a skillet until golden and crisp. It also features feta cheese as a garnish, adding a creamy and salty contrast to the dish.
- Chimichurri Meatballs by Modern Proper: This recipe uses ground beef and lamb or pork, and bakes the meatballs in the oven for a healthier option. It also uses shallots instead of garlic in the chimichurri sauce, giving it a milder and sweeter flavor.
- Chicken Chimichurri Cocktail Meatballs by Harvest Kitchen: This recipe uses ground chicken, and makes small bite-sized meatballs that are perfect for parties. It also uses scallions instead of garlic in the meatball mixture, adding some crunch and color to the dish.
For instance, to make these delicious meatballs, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of ground pork
- ½ pound of ground beef
- ½ cup of bread crumbs
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup of parsley, minced
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Here are the steps to make the meatballs:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, ground beef, bread crumbs, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper and egg. Mix well and form into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and fry until golden and cooked through, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. This is the chimichurri sauce.
- To serve, spoon some of the chimichurri sauce over a large platter. Transfer the meatballs to the platter and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Enjoy with some bread or salad, or as an appetizer with toothpicks.
So, what are you waiting for? Give chimichurri meatballs a try and discover a new way to enjoy this classic dish. You won’t regret it!