Lost your smartphone? Stop worrying about it! our government is here to help you find your phone. Yes! The Indian government is all set to launch a mobile tracking system on a pan-India level on May 17, 2023. The system is called Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR), it allows individuals to block and track their lost or stolen mobile phones throughout the country. This initiative enhance the security and safety of mobile phone users across India.
Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) is developed and administered by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT). With the help of the new system, now people able to block and track their lost mobile phones using their IMEI number, a 15-digit unique numeric identifier. The system will also detect and prevent the use of cloned or counterfeit mobiles and provide information to consumers about fake and cloned mobile phones.
How to Block our Lost or Stolen Phone:
If your phone is lost or stolen, first file an FIR with the police and get a copy of it. Then go to the CEIR website and make a request for blocking of your lost or stolen mobile by filling an online form. Fill the form with basic details like your mobile number, IMEI number, and FIR number
Even we can make request to block phone through CEIR app which is available on both Android and iOS platforms. Concern team will process your request and blocks your phone within 24 hours. If you find your phone, then you can request for unblocking it by filling another online form and providing the same details as before.
Some of the benefits of the CEIR system are:
- It will help police trace lost or stolen mobiles to the police.
- It will help in detecting cloned or counterfeit mobiles and restricting their use.
- It will prevent loss of revenue to the government by blocking unauthorized mobile phones on the network.
- It will protect the interest of consumers by providing them with information related to fake and cloned mobile phones and preventing them from falling prey to fraudulent activities.
Some of the challenges in system are:
- Maintaining a database of all the IMEI numbers and mobile numbers in the country.
- Preventing the cloning or reprogramming of stolen mobile phones that can change their IMEI numbers.
- Avoiding the potential blocking of authentic IMEI numbers when blocking cloned ones.
What is IMEI number:
Do you know an IMEI number is a unique 15-digit code that precisely identifies the device. Mobile phone manufacturers assign IMEI numbers to each device based on ranges allotted to them by the Global System for Mobile Communications Association. Dual SIM phones will have two IMEI numbers.
Learn More | Mobile Blocking and Tracking System CEIR system
Link: CEIR official website
Link2: Latest Tech News
Link3: Tech Visual stories